More and more people around me are looking for tasty, easy, vegetarian alternatives to lunch or dinner with meat. This recipe is packed with flavor and easy to make.
Shopping list for a generous portion for 2:
- 2 zucchinis
- 250g spirelli pasta
- 1 onion
- 100 ml double cream
- 100 ml milk
- a box of ready cubed and spiced tofu (around 200g)
- 1 ts vegetable broth paste (or half a cube of the dry variety)
- pepper and salt to taste
- some olive oil
- Boil some water and cook the spirelli as per the package instructions.
- Heat up some of the olive oil and slowly fry the tofu. Beware that they do not become hard around the edges. Set aside.
- Cut up the onion in small cubes. Heat up some more olive oil in the pan and slowly glaze the onions. Take care that they do not turn brown.
- Wash the zucchini, cut off the ends, slice them in half length ways. Remove the seeds and cut up the zucchini into small cubes. Add them to the pan with the onions and let them soften slowly.
- Before draining your pasta, be sure to save some of the cooking water.
- Now add the milk, double cream and broth to the onion and zucchini mixture. Let it reduce for a few minutes and season to taste with pepper and salt. This will also soften the zucchinis some more.
- Return the pasta to the cooking pan and add the zucchini sauce. If it’s too dry, add some of the saved cooking water. Add the tofu and give it all a good stir.
- Serve immediately, with some grated Gruyere cheese if you wish.