Winter time! Brussels sprouts time! Comfort food all the way … So far, I only have one vegetarian dish with my favorite vegetable … so when I found another one online which looked pretty good, I gave it a try. And now it’s on my vegetarian winter favorites list as well.
Your shopping list for 2:
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 300g Brussels sprouts
- 2 red onions
- 4 eggs
- olive oil
- pepper and salt to taste
- Start by prepping your veggies: cut the sweet potatoes up into cubes (not too small), clean up the Brussels sprouts and slice them thinly. Slice up the red onions thinly as well.
- Put the sweet potatoes into a bowl, cover with clingfilm. Put into your microwave, set the timer to 5 minutes and heat on high. Mix them up with a spoon – if they’re still too firm, give them another blast. They should be tender, but not too mushy. Set aside once ready.
- Heat the olive oil in a very large non-stick pan and add the onions. Let them caramelize for a couple of minutes (+/- 5). Add the sprouts and stir-fry the lot on quite the high heat. They should be softened.
- Once this is done, add the sweet potatoes to the pan and mix it all together. You’ll get the sweetness of the potatoes and the zingy-ness of the sprouts. Heavenly. Season with pepper and salt to taste.
- In another bowl, heat up a large amount of water and poach the eggs. Jamie Oliver show you how to do this in this tutorial: Jamie’s poached eggs
- Gently place the eggs on top of the vegetables. Sprinkle over some nutmeg and serve!
(base recipe and picture thanks to BBC Good Food)